Pressure cooking the beans:
- 5 cup Dried Handi white chickpeas
- 3 cups Water
For spinach paste and tomato puree:
- 10-12 cups Spinach (palak) washed, palak
- 10 cups Water
- 6-8 Green chilies
- 2 medium Tomato
For chana palak recipe:
- 5 cup Cashew nuts powdered
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Handi Cumin seeds
- 1 of medium or 1 cup Red onion chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon Handi Ginger paste
- 2 teaspoon Handi Garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Handi Salt to taste
- 1 cup Water
- Wash chickpeas under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Soak them for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Drain and take into pressure cooker. Add 1 ½ cups of water. Cover with lid and put the weight on.
- Cook for 1 whistle on high + 20 minutes on medium-low heat. Or cook it till they are soft.
- Let the pressure go down by itself and then open the lid.
- Bring about 5-6 cups of water to a boil.
- Add salt to it, then add spinach and cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain all the water and run cold water over it so that it stops cooking. Keep in the colander.
- Now let the water come to a boil again. Make a cross at the bottom of the tomato.
- Blanch it into water for 4-5 minutes or till the skin starts to comes off.
- Immediately drop into cold water to stop cooking. Peel the skin off.
- Process the cashew powder into a grinder.
- After that, puree the tomato.
- And then puree the spinach with green chilies and keep them aside.
Making chole palak recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
- Then add chopped onions. Add some salt and let it cook till it becomes light brown.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste. Cook for a minute.
- Add pureed tomato. Cook till the moisture evaporates.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala and kasoori methi. Mix and cook for a minute.
- Ext add the pureed spinach and mix well.
- Once curry comes to a boil, sprinkle cashew nut powder over it and mix it properly.
- Add the cooked chana and mix it.
- Add water if needed to adjust the gravy consistency. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then turn off the stove.
- Serve warm with your preferred flat bread.