- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup moong dal I used moong dal dhuli
- 1/4 teaspoon Handi turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Handi salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hing powder (also known as asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Handi cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Handi mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas
- Handi salt to taste
- Take 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup moong dal in a bowl.
- Soak it in enough water for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, drain the water and set aside.
- Add the rice and dal to a pressure cooker and add around 3.5 to 4 cups water.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida and pressure cook on high heat for 5- whistles.
- The rice and dal will cook and be very soft and mushy, set aside.
- To another pan on medium heat, add ghee and/or oil.
- Once the oil & ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Wait till cumin seeds start sizzling and mustard seeds pop up.
- Add chopped ginger and green chili. Saute for 30 seconds or so or till the ginger starts turning light golden brown in color.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green peas. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and dal to the pan.
- Mix till well combined, add salt and adjust to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve the moong dal khichdi with some extra ghee on top.